On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Jeremy Hughes<hugh...@apache.org> wrote:
> We appreciate any feedback and comments on the proposal.

* Any chance of one or two of the other ASF members involved also
stepping up as a mentor?

* Projects that consist of groups of components often have some
problems maintaining sufficient cohesion as a community. I hope you
guys will give that the specific attention it probably requires and
tune the project charter appropriately.

* I have no problems with having multiple OSGi projects at apache as
long as they're all healthy communities and they play nice with each
other.

(...)

Of course the "play nice" part is interesting here -- I'm frowning a
bit at seeing this how-to-interact-with-felix discussion kick off with
a pretty much finished proposal going to the incubator. Surely the
conversation can go a bit differently? For example maybe you could've
approached felix first and discussed seeding the project with some of
the parts-of-felix (along with developers) that are argued to need an
independent-from-felix re-brand? Maybe you can take a step back
together even now and see if something like that might make sense? Or,
maybe you can co-operate on a shared registry / website of the OSGi
components in all the different projects so that people visiting
apache.org are not confused? Or something like that?

I hope you guys find a way to reduce the friction and co-operate;
having what looks like battle lines being drawn up at the start of
incubation is _not_ a good thing.

I do expect to see that felix/aria conversation resolved clearly one
way or another before the proposal goes up for a vote. Even if the
resolution is "there will significant charter overlap and duplication
of effort and code and probably little committer overlap between the
communities because we disagree on how to do things" then I'd like to
see that clearly spelled out.

cheers,

- Leo