On Sep 3, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

There was no attempt to contact the Felix PMC in general that I am aware and I certainly didn't know about it in advance.

And there seems to be a continued attempt to construe my original criticisms as "all of Aries should go into Felix".

Apologies, if I've been guilty of this.

I, personally, do not believe that all of Aries should go into Felix, I too think it should have its own identity. I was always only ever referring to the independent OSGi spec implementations. I was arguing that Felix is a good place to work on them, since it is part of what it is trying to achieve.

So, let's assume that one or more OSGi spec implementations are a core part of Aries -- with specific features/customization for Aries. Personally, it seems reasonable that an Aries project would want these customized spec implementations close at hand -- within their project. What would be the benefit for the Aries community of developing these spec implementations at Felix? Perhaps you can help me understand... Likewise, I'm not sure I understand how these implementations would harm Felix.

Further, I don't really understand the implication that somehow the burden is now on the Felix community to go and contribute to Aries on OSGi spec implementations just because of this proposal, when there was no attempt to work with the Felix community on creating OSGi spec implementations in the first.

I think the intent was to look for opportunities to bridge a gap. If this doesn't help, I'm willing to try and work on alternatives...

The only conclusions I see being drawn by people who have invested very little in Felix is that we should dismantle the Felix charter so that we can accommodate the fact that some people don't want to play with us.

I don't know why anybody would want to "dismantle the Felix charter". I'm not sure why Aries would impact that one way or another...

--kevan