I got this fixed by adding deployment skipping for our examples module:
<build>
                <pluginManagement>
                        <plugins>
                                <plugin>
                                        <!-- skip deployment for all examples
-->
                       <artifactId>maven-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
                       <configuration>
                         <skip>true</skip>
                      </configuration>
                    </plugin>
            </plugins>
                </pluginManagement>
</build>

As you can see in the latest snapshot builds the examples are not
being deployed any more:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/empire-db/

Now for the staging repo I fear we'll have to create an other RC as I
can not remove folders there.
Anything else we should fix?

Cheers,
Francis