On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Francis De Brabandere
<franci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I added myself a while ago to the keys in our
> repo/trunk/tools/KEYS.txt. Should we move that file to trunk and
> publish it in the dist?

I would say so. The advantage of having the KEYS file also in the
/dist/ is that it'll be close to where its used. The advantage of SVN,
well that should be obvious :)

> also from here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#distribution-checksums-sigs
> "that the KEYS file contains the public key. (Storing public keys in a
> KEYS file is recommended but is not policy.)"
> further my public key is available here:
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=francisdb

Yeah, publishing a KEYS file by itself does not really provide the end
user with much additional guarantee beyond a SHA1 hash of the file
(which is why imagine KEYS files are not policy). The thing that
matters much more is linking up to the apache web of trust:

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#web-of-trust

For similar reasons it is also good if multiple people sign releases -
more trust :)

cheers,

- Leo (who in java land already considers it a "win" these days when
people opt out of auto-downloading from ibiblio.org, so personally no
longer bothers with GPG)