On 11/05/2010, Mike Rheinheimer <r...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks Sebb for your review,
>
>  I'll try to address each of your concerns:
>
>  1)  AL headers are missing from...
>
>  These files list implementation classes like other standard
>  META-INF/services/* files.  We may be able to accommodate and re-write code
>  that reads these files in the next release but I don't believe these should
>  be release blockers.

I assumed these were standard services files which do allow comments.
See for example:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Provider%20Configuration%20File

which describes the service file format.

>  2)  The Wink download page does not have a link to the KEYS file; this
>
> should be fixed before any release please.
>

> I've added a link for the KEYS file.  Site will be updated as soon as I have
>  proper permissions on people.apache.org.

Thanks, seen it via people proxy.

The link is to an SVN tag, which works, however is not usual.

There's a copy of KEYS in

http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/wink/

which is a more usual location for links to refer to, and is closer to
the hashes/sigs.

BTW, the amended download page has two copies of the "Instructions"
and "SVN" URLs under the 1.0 release table.

Also, just noticed that the 0.1 release location is still using www.apache.org.

Archived releases should be referenced from archive.apache.org, e.g.:

http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/wink/0.1-incubating/

Once the 1.0 release has been available for a week or so, any previous
releases should be deleted from www.apache.org/dist. They will remain
on archive.a.o forever.

>  3)  Also, the SNAPSHOT downloads should not be listed...
>
>  Also fixed.  Site will be updated as soon as I have proper permissions on
>  people.apache.org.
>
>  4)  It would be useful to include details of how to use sigs and hashes to
>  check downloads.
>
>  Added a link from the downloads page to the Apache instructions.  Site will
>  be updated as soon as I have proper permissions on people.apache.org.
>
>  5)  This reports a lot of warnings from the license:check goal...
>
>  My personal preference is that this goal remains.  It has served us well.
>  :)

But does it need to be run for every install?

Surely you only need it for the -PCIBuild installs.