On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 18:02, Sanjiva Weerawarana
> <sanj...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>>> >

>>> Subversion *has* used these terms for a few years too.  Should we just
>>> stop using the terms we've used for N years?
>>
>> Yes .. that's part of the price of being in the ASF! We have forced this on
>> other projects many times (including often forcing change of name) and I
>> don't understand why Subversion doesn't need to follow the same processes
>> and terminology. This should've been dealt with during incubation in fact.
>
> How does naming accomplish the goal of collaborative, consensus-based
> development? I thought that was why we were here. I hadn't heard that
> people and projects had to pay a "price" to be part of the Foundation.

Seconded.

Additionally, I'd like to note that I don't think that these "partial"
committers are so special, apart from the name. I think it goes
without saying that any new committer should restrict himself or
herself initially to only those parts, for which he or she was voted
in. For example, in the case of Commons I hesitate do commit anything
besides Fileupload even after years. The only difference I can see is
that Subversion emphasizes this fact (and possibly enforces it).

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)