On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How does naming accomplish the goal of collaborative, consensus-based
> development? I thought that was why we were here. I hadn't heard that

We force Java code to be package changed to be org.apache.*. Why do we do
that? That's a SERIOUS pain to all users but we do it - that's part of
identifying the project with the ASF. Similarly on many occasions we have
asked projects to pick a new name as part of the incubation process. We have
made exceptions for well established brands (ServiceMix & ActiveMQ were the
first I remember but there probably were others) and so we do have precedent
for that (and I *totally* agree changing the name would accomplish nothing
here). IIRC even ServiceMix and ActiveMQ changed their package names to
org.apache.*.

> people and projects had to pay a "price" to be part of the Foundation.

There is of course a price- you can't have a BDFL (which many FOSS projects
do), you have to report to the board every month first and then every 3
months, you have to follow a certain decision making process we call the
Apache Way etc. etc..

For an established project which has its own structure those are all part of
the "price" of being in the ASF. Nothin' wrong with it at all IMO: All good
things come at a price.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/