On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 20:06, Sanjiva Weerawarana
<sanj...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How does naming accomplish the goal of collaborative, consensus-based
>> development? I thought that was why we were here. I hadn't heard that
>
> We force Java code to be package changed to be org.apache.*. Why do we do
> that? That's a SERIOUS pain to all users but we do it - that's part of

You cannot possibly try to compare terminology to a *release artifact*.

We impose rules on our releases. The majority our rules apply to those
artifacts or their production.

> identifying the project with the ASF. Similarly on many occasions we have
> asked projects to pick a new name as part of the incubation process. We have
> made exceptions for well established brands (ServiceMix & ActiveMQ were the
> first I remember but there probably were others) and so we do have precedent
> for that (and I *totally* agree changing the name would accomplish nothing
> here). IIRC even ServiceMix and ActiveMQ changed their package names to
> org.apache.*.

It seems somewhere that we disconnected from some conceptual
terminology into an area of product/package naming.

>> people and projects had to pay a "price" to be part of the Foundation.
>
> There is of course a price- you can't have a BDFL (which many FOSS projects
> do), you have to report to the board every month first and then every 3
> months, you have to follow a certain decision making process we call the
> Apache Way etc. etc..
>
> For an established project which has its own structure those are all part of
> the "price" of being in the ASF. Nothin' wrong with it at all IMO: All good
> things come at a price.

Ah. Heh. I don't see those as a price/cost, so I still don't see what
you mean. ;-)

Cheers,
-g