On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that the pivotal problem here is the word connector. On
> the one hand, it could mean almost anything to almost anyone. On the
> other hand, it has a specific denotation in the vicinity of httpd.
> Everything at Apache is in the vicinity of httpd.
>
> I'd offer the following 'made-up' options, all following Apache:
>
>  - manifold  (many connections)
>  - omnivore (eats anything)
>  - rapunzel (spins straw into gold)
>  - diogenes (seeking for something)
>  - lantern (ditto)
>  - helium (fuel for Solr)
>
> The whole question of brand management strikes me as interesting: is
> it, in fact, the job of the incubator PMC to groom the Apache branding
> portfolio by guiding new projects towards better names? Is that in our
> charter, or should we, as Chris suggests, defer to someone else for
> problems in this area.

FWIW, I think we should defer to the project PMC to make their own
decision.  We can advise them that they're making a bad choice - as
has been done - but really, they can either take the advice or leave
it.  The important thing is that they come up with a name that they
can rally around.  Assuming they've done the mark searches, it's not
clear why we have much of a stake in this other than friendly
advice....

--tim