On Aug 27, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Upayavira wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 06:41 +1000, Gav... wrote:
>>> I think the title of the name change is a little misleading.
>>>
>>> We are not Replacing 'Lucene' with 'Apache' .
>>>
>>> Apache is a given.
>>>
>>> IOW - The proposal is either:
>>>
>>> Change "Apache Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Apache Connectors Framework"
>>>
>>> or:
>>>
>>> Change "Lucene Connectors Framework" to "Connectors Framework"
>>>
>>> It should therefore be clear that the only change being proposed here is the
>>> 'dropping' of the word 'Lucene' due to the fact that Lucene is no longer its
>>> governing TLP.
>>
>> But people aren't going to be thinking about governing TLPs when making
>> assumptions about a name.
>>
>> Does this project actually relate to Lucene or not? Apache Connectors
>> Framework tells me it is either a generic connectors framework for
>> connecting anything to anything, or it is for connecting httpd to
>> something else, neither of which I suspect are what it is all about.
>>

> It is, perhaps, worthwhile to give a brief description about the project,
> taken from the website:
> <snip>
> The Apache Connectors Framework (ACF) is an effort to provide build and
> support an open source framework for connecting source content repositories
> like Microsoft Sharepoint and EMC Documentum, to target repositories or
> indexes, such as Apache Solr. ACF also defines a security model for target
> repositories that permits them to enforce source-repository security policies.
>
> Currently included connectors support FileNet P8 (IBM), Documentum (EMC),
> LiveLink (OpenText), Patriarch (Memex), Meridio (Autonomy), Windows shares
> (Microsoft), and SharePoint (Microsoft). Also included are a general file
> system connector, a general JDBC connector, a general RSS crawler, and a
> general web crawler. Currently supported targets include Apache Solr and
> QBase (formerly MetaCarta) GTS. The complete repository compatibility list
> can be found here.
> </snip>
>
> While it supports targets for Solr, it is not a Solr/Lucene only thing.  The
> framework intends to be a generic connector framework such that if someone
> implements the source and the sync according to the framework design, it will
> work.
>
> FWIW, as was pointed out on the connector mailing list, there are also many
> other generic/descriptive names in Apache (disregarding the granddaddy of
> them all: HTTP Server, which I realize, of course, is a different story):
> HttpComponents, OpenWebBeans, TrafficServer, Web Services, XML, XMLBeans, XML
> Graphics, Directory, Logging, OpenEJB, OpenJPA, Portals, Perl, TCL.
> Perhaps we should call it the Open Connector Framework?  Or maybe if we
> remove the spaces, as in OpenConnectorFramework, then we are good?

Of those at least Web Services, XML, Logging, and Portals are sort of
psuedo-projects that aggregate related little projects in that area.  Along
with the OpenFoo family there's the ActiveFoo family :-).

For me as a know-nothing outsider the suggestion of Content Connector Framework
pointed me a bit towards what it does.  OpenContentConnectorFramework is
descriptive but a bit long.  OpenCCF?

To try to illustrate my thinking rather than push a name down your throat...
Open ConnectorFramework/OpenConnectorFramework/OpenCF  OK, since you've added a
branding word.  Not ideal since the purpose appears overly broad
Content Connector Framework/ContentConnectorFramework/CCF OK, since you've
clarified the scope.  Not ideal since has no branding word.
OpenContentConnectorFramework/OpenCCF better since it clarifies the scope and
includes a branding word.

thanks
david jencks