On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:40 AM, robert_w...@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I'd like to think that no one is working on LibreOffice merely because
> they have no choice, or that giving everyone a choice is seen as being
> antagonistic.  If truly 100% of the LibreOffice members prefer TDF to
> Apache, then you have nothing to worry about, right?  If some prefer
> Apache, then you have worries, if you choose to worry about such things,
> but I don't take it as a moral fault in Apache or in the authors of this
> proposal that we are offering an open source development choice that some
> developers might prefer over TDF.

I don't see this as 2 "competing" projects... well, maybe right
now it is, but what it is "now" doesn't mean that is how it
should be, or will turn out to be.

One simple example: Imagine the Apache project as the core
"guts" of OOo, the framework. With TDF working on parts
that extend and enhance OOo, in a modular fashion, for
a particular set of end-users... or something like that.
Or something different from that.

What I'm trying to say is simple 1-1 duplication is stupid, at
least in my mind. I don't see that as our only option; in fact,
I see that as a really short-sighted one. We can all certainly
do much better than that.