On 02/06/2011 16:22, Jim Jagielski wrote:

On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

I do have a question though. To me it's unclear whether the Openoffice
project has any real development ressources. I see so far one developer and
Rob, who I know to be a distinguished engineer from IBM but who has never
contributed code to OpenOffice, if I recall. I'm a bit surprised by this as
TDF has now over 200 developers, paid and unpaid and I was under the
impression that this number was not deemed to be enough by IBM.

The initial list has grown and I expect it to continue to; up
until it was announced, no one new about it, so it was kinda
impossible to get a more comprehensive list. Now that people
do know about it, people are signing on.

"IBM plans to commit new project members and individual contributors from its global development team to strengthen the project and ensure its future success." [1]

In an earlier reply to a similar question from me Rob indicated that the initial committer list does not include these resources as it might have sent the wrong signal to independents and other collaborators.

The proposal was then updated to say "In order to help encourage the creation of a broad and diverse project built upon merit, as required of an Apache project, we have not loaded the initial committer list with contributors from a single company. Our intention is for the initial committer list to be representative of the various users of OOo code. " [2]

Ross

[1] http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34638.wss
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal