On 6/2/2011 11:07 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 16:22, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> The initial list has grown and I expect it to continue to; up
>> until it was announced, no one new about it, so it was kinda
>> impossible to get a more comprehensive list. Now that people
>> do know about it, people are signing on.
>
> "IBM plans to commit new project members and individual contributors from its
> global
> development team to strengthen the project and ensure its future success." [1]

I have two remaining concerns with this statement.

The ASF welcomes independent developers and those from commercial
organizations on the same terms, by demonstration of merit and an
apparent long term interest in improving the project.  This is why
I mentioned earlier that it is important for IBM folk to sign up
individually on the wiki roster.

Corporate assignments are notorious at the ASF for disappearing
communities.  Sometimes, there is momentum to keep going, often
times there is not.  Communities are based on individuals.

Already, on the part of Oracle, this seems to be a code dump (the
abandonment of code, in spite of whatever help with transition).
I raised the question on another thread; will Oracle inhibit its
interested engineers from participating on their own time, if it
remains their personal interest to participate?

And should IBM choose in the near or far future to divest itself
from an OOo community, in the pattern of Harmony, is it willing to
make a statement that its employees will not be discouraged from
ongoing participation /on their own time/, again if this is their
personal interest?

So far, this proposal appears to be the effort of two individuals
on behalf of two corporations, with some great enthusiam from others.
All recognize that any resulting project at the Apache Software
Foundation would be the effort of individuals, not companies per say.
So these two answers would go a long way to ensure that the long term
project health is not beholden to Oracle's absence, or any threat of
withdrawal by IBM.