This whole topic seems to suffer from malformed or uninformative subject lines.

I submit that it's not the purview of the ASF or the Incubator PMC to
achieve world peace, or whirled peas, or a single project for open
source document software.

Oracle has granted code to the ASF. A group of people have made a
proposal to launch a podling based on that granted code. The incubator
has criteria for judging proposals. They relate to the probability of
the successful creation of a self-sustaining Apache project.

The existing of TDF and the preference of its contributors for
copyleft is data, but for me it's not data that could persuade me to
vote -1 in this PMC. I don't care if there are 5,000 people out there
who are firmly planning to stick to TDF like glue. I care if there are
10 or 20 who are prepared to take this on.

Personally, I also prefer to be lenient about launching podlings and
then strict about noticing when they are failing to hatch.

I am sympathetic to those TDF contributors for whom this development
arrives as an unwelcome surprise and perhaps a cheap parthian shot
from Oracle and IBM. However, as a member of the ASF and the incubator
PMC, my sympathy does not extend to voting against this proposal on
criteria related to the possible damage to TDF/LO or the success or
failure of some attempt treat this as 'the one and only' successor to
the Sun's open office.