Wow, my thread got away from me. Thanks for tying all that back together
Bertrand!

+1 to this proposal, whatever they happen to be called (I find Champion a bit
weird still, but I can see how it fits - and we don't need any more acronyms).
A couple of notes:

On 23/11/2011, at 8:29 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of
>> the PPMC, in the same
>> way as a full project? I would see them as responsible for ensuring the
>> podling is reporting, and
>> that all of the mentors are engaged and signing off the reports....
>
> Considering the discussions in that thread I think we have consensus
> on the following expansions, or rather clarifications, of the role of
> a podling's Champion:
>
> 1. Coordinate the creation and timely delivery of the podling's board reports
>
> 2. Keep an eye on the mentors' activity and take action (ask for new
> mentors, talk to Incubator PMC) if they don't seem to provide enough
> oversight or mentorship to the podling
>
> And we also seem to have consensus on the following:
>
> 3. The Champion is not necessarily a mentor.

In performing this role well, I think they will effectively be mentoring the
podling - so I'm not sure if it needs a distinction.

> 4. The podling can elect a new Champion at any time
>
> 5. As the podling progresses, it might be a good idea to elect its
> future PMC chair as Champion, as their tasks are similar
>
> 6. Existing podlings will need to elect a Champion, unless their
> current one agrees to take on the above tasks.
>
> WDYT?

Agree on these. I didn't mention it originally, but there were a couple of
expectations I had about having someone in this role.

We shouldn't be creating yet another role that is incubator specific. It should
deliberately be chair-like so that it's not another different thing to learn as
a podling.

Also, the person should be modelling what a good chair is like. Currently, we
thrust a number of chairs into that position at graduation who may never have
seen another project chair in action. Some podlings, as Chris has highlighted,
have been lucky to have that person around during incubation, but it hasn't
been universal.

Cheers,
Brett

--