On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:59, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> This sounds more and more like an example of "Fascination of the
> Apache brand", as a lever for commercial interest.
> I agree with Roy that this is bad taste, and I wish WANdisco simply
> makes a commercial derivative, OR even a commercially backed, open
> source licensed derivative on GitHub, which may build traction with a
> larger community and we can discuss it again...

To understand why WANdisco wants Bloodhound to be an Apache project,
rather than their own, please read their CEO's message:
  https://groups.google.com/group/trac-dev/msg/5bc628afdd5a4ff3

They approach some things wrong, but I agree with David's sentiment in
that message: the ASF is the best way to create a long-lived, healthy,
and vendor-neutral project. There is a strong assumption that a
community will evolve around Apache Bloodhound, and that is what the
Incubator is for. Most podlings arrive with the hope and assumption
that a community is out there, just waiting to be discovered.

Cheers,
-g