On 1/10/2012 2:20 PM, Donald Whytock wrote:

> I'm actually not seeing much in the way of contradiction in discussion
> of the policy.
>
> The letter seems to be: Apache projects don't import and incorporate
> code without the owners' consent.  License to use is not synonymous
> with consent to import.
>
> The spirit seems to be: It is terminally rude to try to form an Apache
> project by ripping up an existing community without its consent.
>
> Most of the Apache people commenting here seem to agree on these
> things.  Most of the argument on this thread seems to have been about
> whether or not they apply to Bloodhound.  Bloodhound notwithstanding,
> there's probably enough practical clarification here to put up on a
> page somewhere, with a link from the main policy page saying, "For a
> discussion of the issues, click here."
>
> But perhaps I'm naive.

No, that's exactly what I've interpreted.  Perhaps it is a bit more
nuanced; if there were two sets of 'copyright holders' who could no
longer tolerate collaborating together, perhaps the ASF would raise
the issue again.  More likely, go off and work your project elsewhere
and come to the ASF demonstrating you already operate with appropriate
community dynamics (fork'ers being presumptively suspect of problematic
community dynamics ;-)

So A. above appears to be "Almost never without agreement".  And let
there be one heck of a detailed justification in the exception case.

It would be good for the board to issue an explicit policy to this
effect.  But the discussion was sufficient to move on.