On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 01/30/2012 05:12 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> I've never liked vetoes for this. One person can hold an entire PMC hostage
>> simply for disliking someone (or worse: subtle corporate concerns masked
>> otherwise). People have said in the past, "you should have veto so you're
>> not forced to work with somebody you dislike." I respond, "grow up. we work
>> with annoying people all the time, and the majority says they *can* work
>
> When this question came up in another context, Roy's concern, as I
> recall it, was something to the effect that if you don't allow vetoes of
> proposed PMC members then you might create a dysfunctional PMC.  (Roy,
> please correct me if I miss-recall.)

Well, it boils down to the fact that making someone a PMC member gives
them veto power over the changes you make.  The only way that works
socially is if everyone currently on the PMC agrees that person is a peer.

Having said that, I should note that the context of Incubator is
significantly different than a normal PMC.  If incubator wants to structure
itself more like a board and less like a project, I really don't have
much to say against that.  Note that it should effect all of the decision
guidelines that give veto power, not just personnel decisions.

....Roy