I don't think the problem is with the size of the ooo-security list membership.
 I think it is in the assumption that the [P]PMC has somehow delegated the
ability to make a release of any kind to the ooo-security team.  I don't mean
slip-streaming fixes and working off the public SVN until that happens.  I mean
developing and deploying all the rest of what accompanies an advisory along
with provision of a mitigation.

The breakdowns were not in analyzing the reported vulnerability and the
proof-of-exploit that accompanied it.  I assume that ooo-security acquitted
itself well in that regard as well as with the coordination with other parties,
including ones external to Apache, having common concerns.  The breakdown was
in all of the non-security considerations and assumptions, even though they
needed to be developed in confidence.  The PPMC would have provided a proper
arena for working that out.

The PPMC has much to offer concerning the announcement of CVEs and the
appropriate coordination and form of patch releases/updates.  Those with
valuable perspective on the deployment strategy and its support might have no
sense of the technical work that ooo-security members undertake.

There was nothing about this particular vulnerability that made it dangerous
for the PPMC to know about it and the approach being taken to release an
ASF-appropriate patch.  The exploit is by crafting an ODF 1.2 document and all
unpatched OO.o 3.x (and LibreOffice 3.x) installations remain vulnerable.  I
think it is safe to presume that there are, at this moment, significantly more
unpatched installations than patched ones and I see that as a greater concern,
if there is any, than consultation and review by the PPMC before the public
advisory and patch release.  A significant number of people external to the
PPMC, including non-experts and those who may see themselves as competitors,
knew about this prior to the announcement and there does not appear to have
been any damage.

 - Dennis

PS: I followed the public back-and-forth about the operation of security lists
and venues for security coordination that Dave Fisher feels embarrassed about.
I don't think it matters.  Whether there was a way for the Apache OpenOffice
project to issue repairs to OpenOffice.org distributions, or not, did not seem
to be a significant feature of the dispute as I followed it.  Indeed, knowledge
of the possibility of an ASF patch was not a fact that could be used as a
counter-point.  Announcement of the particular vulnerability that was going to
be dealt with by ASF in that manner was still under embargo.
   It remains a valid point that those who can't wait for a stable Apache
OpenOffice release to satisfy their security concerns, especially on Linux
where there is still no Apache patch, might want to look to other distributions
whose current releases have that and other vulnerabilities repaired.  It all
depends.