Oh, and I communicated to another podling (via their podling-private@ ) whose
PPMC I am not on that they might want to pay attention to this vulnerability as
well, and that was apparently valuable input.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamil...@acm.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:55
To: 'general@incubator.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Extraordinary OpenOffice security patch (Was: [Incubator Wiki]
Update of "April2012" by robweir)

@Rob,

In fact, I posted to ooo-dev and ooo-users information on the significance of
the vulnerability and ways to mitigate it.

I was unsuccessful in posting instructions, after several failed attempts, for
applying the patch on Windows XP where the dialogs are different and have
different consequences than described in the Windows-patch PDF, which gives
instructions for Windows 7.  (This has to do with an over-zealous spam filter
on our lists and I could not get around it.)  I have however put what I could
on the Media Wiki as the basis for a possible FAQ, using
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Talk:Documentation/FAQ/Installation/How_Can_I_Install_the_Security_Patch_(CVE-2012-0037)>.

I can't do anything about the fact that the need for a Linux patch has not been
resolved.  I can't do anything about the fact that the patch requires the
confidence and experience of a power user to apply on any platform.  I
understand why that is; I can't do anything about it myself beyond attempt to
provide supporting information and supplementary instructions.

And I, am, of course, a volunteer here.

I also don't see what that has to do with the relationship between the PPMC and
ooo-security.  That's about getting many eyes, not about where orcmid might
exercise his heroic super powers.

 - Dennis