Just because some other podlings have released binary artifacts does
not mean AOO can base their entire release strategy on binaries.

As Marvin has said: source releases are the primary release mechanism.

Binaries are and should be a distant second.

I would also state that continuing to argue is symptomatic of a
failure to understand and integrate with the Foundation's thoughts on
the matter. Or to at least politely discuss the situation on
legal-discuss.

Cheers,
-g

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
>> wrote:

>>> In my opinion, the issue of binary releases ought to be resolved before
>>> graduation.
>>>
>>> If the podling believes that ASF-endorsed binaries are a hard requirement,
>>> then it seems to me that the ASF is not yet ready for AOO and will not be
>>> until suitable infrastructure and legal institutions to support binary
>>> releases (sterile build machines, artifact signing, etc) have been created
>>> and a policy has been endorsed by the Board.
>>>
>>> One possibility discussed in the past was to have downstream commercial
>>> vendors release binaries a la Subversion's example, which would
>>> obviate the need for all the effort and risk associated with providing
>>> support
>>> for ASF-endorsed binaries.  For whatever reason, the AOO podling seems not