On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 21/08/12 13:59, Branko Čibej wrote:
>> On 21.08.2012 12:52, sebb wrote:
>>> I think the NOTICE problems are serious enough to warrant a respin.
>>
>> This is an unreasonable request. The IPMC voted on the 3.4.0 release.
>> The notice file has not changed between 3.4.0 and 3.4.1. How then do you
>> justify this new requirement?
>
> Let me offer some advice from somebody who has been where you
> are now.  Please keep in mind that the ASF is a large, volunteer
> organization.  The backs and forths you are seeing here are
> normal and probably can't be avoided in flat organization like
> this.  This can be strange and/or frustrating to people who are
> either paid to do their Apache work, or who come from smaller
> organizations where it was easier to come to a decision.  Try
> to keep a positive attitude, go with the flow, and become a part
> of the wider Apache community (not just your project).  Help
> improve things where you see they are lacking.  This community
> aspect is very important at Apache.
>
> As to the issue at hand, this is not a new requirement.  The
> issue just wasn't spotted last time.  Yes, that's annoying, but
> it can't be helped.  The NOTICE and the LICENSE files are the
> most important files in your distribution, and you should make
> every effort to get them right.  Sebb raises valid concerns that
> need to be addressed.

A suggested exercise at ApacheCon.  Get a group of 20 Members, break
them into groups of 5.  Give each group an identical list of 3rd party
dependencies and ask them to create a NOTICE file that expresses them.
 Give them 30 minutes.  Compare the results.

I'd bet any amount that all four NOTICE files will differ in
substantive ways, and that there would be disagreement, both within
the groups, and across the groups, on which was "correct".

-Rob