On 8/21/12 12:52 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 18 August 2012 13:24, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is a call for vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
>> OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating). This will be the second incubator release for
>> Apache OpenOffice after the 3.4 release with already more than 11 million
>> downloads.
>>

>> This release candidate provides the following important key changes
>> compared to the OpenOffice 3.4 release:
>>
>> (1) Five more translations: Finnish, British English, Khmer, Slovak, and
>> Slovenian.
>>
>> (2) As of 2012/08/16, there were 69 verified issues that have been
>>     resolved. (Complete list at http://s.apache.org/Huv)
>>
>> (3) Update of the NOTICE file: it now properly mentions CoinMP as numerical
>> equation solver.
>>
>> (3) Most external source archives are now downloaded from their project
>> servers.
>>     For all of them exists a fallback at
>> http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/.
>>     The Apache SVN repository is only used as secondary fallback and
>>     is not used in practice.
>>     It will be removed in the next release.
>>

>> For a detailed feature overview please see the release notes at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes.
>>
>> The release candidate artifacts (source release, as well as binary
>> releases for 20 languages) and further information how to verify and
>> review Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) can be found on the following
>> wiki page:
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOO3.4.1
>>
>> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1
>> (incubating).
>
> I think the NOTICE file included in the source release is wrong.
> NOTICE files are for *required* notices only, and should be as short
> as possible, and should only relate to software that is actually
> included in the particular artifact in which they appear.
>
> There are several repeated instances of
>
> =======
> This product includes software developed by
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
> =======
>
> There should only be one instance at the head of the file.
>
> The Tomcat (Tomcat? is that really included?) section mentions NSIS -
> is that really included?
>
> There are lots of other entries which look superfluous.
> It's vital that the NOTICE file only include *required* notices.

I can't argue about the exact content and the format how a NOTICE have
to look like. No changes in the NOTICE file for the src release compared
to AOO 3.4

We had many discussion on the NOTICE file for 3.4 and followed the
advices of we got from these discussion

The discussion took place on
ooo-dev
legal-discuss

And you can find comments here on the list.

> If the binary builds include additional software, then their N&L files
> need to include any required references.

The binaries includes an aggregated NOTICE file where other included
external software (category-b) is integrated.

Here we added the COINMP stuff for the 3.4.1 release that was raised as
feedback to 3.4.

> I think the NOTICE problems are serious enough to warrant a respin.

mmh, I am unsure, the next time somebody else with a different view and
opinion comes up and we have to change it again?

Again we changed it according the advices we got for the AOO 3.4 release.

Juergen