Growing community is about "getting the message out there". There has to be
someone in the project who wants to do that. Some techniques are:

- press
- community events
- mentoring (that is mentoring of potential new committers)
- fast turnaround on patch reviews
- regular releases
- decent website
- tutorials
- screencasts
- public discussion (even with self while no community exists)

Developing code for one's own use is all well can good but it does not build
community and trying to build community doesn't, in the short term, write code.
It's a catch-22.

Personally I have no problem with a podling having low activity. A single
developer doing their thing in the incubator is not going to hurt anyone. What
I'm concerned about is a podling that is not doing any of the above community
development activities or, even worse, is ignoring potential contributors.

I don't think it is the responsibility of ComDev to do this, although one could
argue ComDev should be documenting these techniques in ways useful to mentors.
I don't think it is the job of mentors (or the IPMC) to do this either. It is
entirely the PPMC responsibility. In my opinion.

Ross