On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >> ...Including the patch below...
> >
> > Sorry to come in late but I had a look at [1] and it's way too
> > complicated IMO, and I don't think the proposed patch helps with that.
> >
> > In general http://incubator.apache.org/ is way too verbose and hard to
> > maintain - removing everything that is not essential would help IMO.
> >
> > With this in mind, I would remove almost everything from the "What is
> > retirement" section and keep just
> >
> > ****
> > A retired project is a project which has been closed down for various
> > reasons, instead of graduating as an Apache project. It is no longer
> > developed in the Apache Incubator and does not have any other duties.
> >
> > The project's code might stay available on Apache servers, if all the
> > required IP clearance requirements have been met.
> >
> > Retirement is a decision of the Incubator PMC, which usually delegates
> > it to the incubating project's mentors. The opinion of the incubating
> > project's community should of course be taken into account, but in the
> > end it's the Incubator PMC which makes the decision.
> > ****
> >
> > And also keep the "steps to retirement" section.
>
> I totally agree with the section being overly complex to parse. I am,
> however,
> a little bit afraid of such a drastic edit ;-) Two points on that:
>    * since I haven't seen much of complaining, can I please commit my
>      proposed stuff and then we can pile additional edits on top of that?
>    * re-reading those sections made me realize that we are making a
>      distinction between two types of non-graduation: termination and
>      retirement. The way I read it, with termination there's no code left.
>      With retirement code is still available. Am I correct?

I also feel this is adding unnecessary complexity and would prefer the
edits simplify rather than add more things. If you're really insisting on
adding some of this text would you at least not add the following bit for
now:

" At this point the project is expected
to be put on a monthly reporting schedule and the next month's report
is expected to articulate the steps and expected time frame to get to
the release. In case of a clear lack of progress for straight three
months the [VOTE] thread on potential retirement is expected to be
started in IPMC."

   ...ant