On 1/16/15, 6:10 AM, "Rich Bowen" <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>Yes, with all of my various hats, I heartily endorse this task. You're
>right, this would be of great value both inside and outside of Apache.

I’m definitely eager to see what Marvin can do here.

I’ve been wondering though: any top-level policy document cannot fully
specify all human behavior.  IMO, that’s why governing bodies have
authority figures who make judgement calls.  The US has a judicial system,
the game of golf has a group of folks who make decisions.  Is it the
various VP’s that get to be the judge?

I’ve often thought about golf when following Apache policy threads.  Golf
has a reasonably detailed rule book but they realize that there are lots
of edge cases in real life and the rule book would be unwieldy if it tried
to specify everything.  So the rule book tries to carefully specify
general principles and is rarely changed.  Then there is a whole archive
of decisions associated with each rule where this group of folks records
decisions made.  Is it reasonable to do something like this at Apache?
Apache Legal seems to already have something like this.  There are legal
policy docs, then the legal-resolved page.

One of the questions I often have when using legal-discuss is whether the
answer I’m getting is authoritative or not.  I know folks are leery about
establishing a tier of folks who can authoritatively make the judgement
calls, but maybe we have to have that so that folks know when they are
getting an official answer vs the opinions of other community members.  To
become a golf rules official you have to pass a test.  And to get on the
board of official golf decision makers is a much harder task.  Maybe we
need a test in order to be an Apache Way Rules Official.

-Alex