On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 5 August 2015 at 22:46, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't have an answer about tooling with respect to the need for
>> widely-available tools.  If the concern is for ability to use free tools on
>> Windows, but there are alternatives to requiring an expensive commercial
>> IDE for users while still taking advantage of the Microsoft development
>> tool chain.
>>
>> The Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 is free to use for open-source
>> projects.  I would recommend it simply because it is available for
>> development on and for Windows and should work for Corinthia (although I
>> haven't tried your builds there).  This works if you are
>> creating/publishing Visual Studio projects.
>>
>> It might also be desirable to use Visual Studio Community Edition 2015,
>> which is now released and available.
>>
> I was not asking so much about which tools would be desirable to use.
>
> I want to make sure I have not overlooked a policy or rule.

I'm not aware of any policy like that. That said, I'd say the rule in my book
is very close to Linux packaging guidelines. Open source software *must*
be bootsrappable from source using *only* open source software binaries
as the input.

It is absolutely fine to use the closed source tools to facilitate the release
process, etc. But the above rule has to hold if you want to call yourself
open source.

Thanks,
Roman.