I want to come back to the question about the dependency of a source release on
third-party tooling to be built.

There is some sort of principle involved when it comes to how others can build
the source easily, even if only to confirm that it builds and operates.

I would not want to see an Apache release that provides building on a
significant explicitly-targeted platform exclusively via expensive commercial
tools as the only means for directly confirming builds by an user of the
release, a volunteer tester, some-one verifying the build, etc.

I don't believe that is necessary for any project that I am aware of.  In the
odd case of Visual Studio, mentioned in the original question, I think the
danger is that the developers will use a Professional or more-expensive version
and not confirm that a free version is readily available and can be sufficient
to accomplish all of the builds by limiting their development to use of the
free version or at least confirming that the free version will build it.

I would think that this is in the spirit of maturity-model clause CD30's
"widely available standard tools." I would question any unnecessary dependence
on tools that are a barrier to use by casual users and volunteer developers.

 - Dennis

MUSINGS

I see no reason that a podling with a small, new initial code base could rely
on freely available tools, providing portable source code that can be easily
built on and for different platforms by including platform-abstraction layers
that suit that project's purposes and that otherwise satisfy requirements for
Apache releases.

TLPs, such as Apache OpenOffice, where Microsoft Windows is a crucial target
platform, have greater difficulty when the project-specified versions of the
Visual C++ compiler and essential platform libraries (including redistributable
run-time) predate the current comprehensive, freely-available versions.  This
is a different challenge with historical origins in a legacy code base.