I'm not sure about this.

In the past I've argued that we need mentors who *do* have a personal interest.
Those are the ones least likely to be absent during incubation.

I do agree that mentors must act in a neutral way. I would hope that if this
were not the case then someone would speak up. I accept that it would be
awkward to do so but concerns need not be raised in a "person Foo is not acting
in a neutral way" in most cases it would always be possible to say "the project
is not acting in a neutral way".

Furthermore, how do we evaluate "vested interest". If someone agrees to mentor
a project that is from a team in a different part of their company do they have
a vested interest? Speaking personally I have more interest in the success of
our partners than I do in some unrelated parts of my employers business. Does
that mean I should not be allowed to mentor projects from my partners too?
While I can hide behind a "big company blindness" case others have no such
option. What if they are from a SME who does not have that luxury, how do we
enforce this proposal fairly?

I'd like to think that if the ASF is the right place for a project in which
someone has a vested interest then they will want that project to operate as an
Apache project. By definition that means that the mentor must act impartially
if they are to achieve their goals.

Personally I would focus more on better oversight of podling and mentor
activity. The goal is to catch the occasional problem case rather than put
restrictions in place. I'm not sure how to do that though. I and others have
made many suggestions over the years. They can be found here
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorIssues2013 (you might want to add
your proposal there).

Ross