On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Furthermore, I would like to see this extended to votes on graduating or
>> retiring podlings,..
>
> IMO this is where independence is important. We could require that 3
> "organizationally independent" IPMC members review each podling before
> graduating or retiring. Those people do not need to be project
> mentors.

I much prefer a formulation of "3 independent" over "no financial
ties", and would prefer such a criteria be considered whenever the
impulse arises to ensure that NO involved individual has a vested
interest.

I'll go further and say that financial interests are but one way in
which individuals have a vested interest in the success of a project,
and echoing a statement by Ross -- having a vested interest is not a
bad thing.

Finally, I would prefer a model whereby those that have achieved ASF
member status are given the benefit of the doubt in matters involving
a group vote when it comes to their ability to separate their ASF role
from their relationship with their employee.  Nothing wrong with still
requiring 3 completely independent votes, but having a rule that
excludes participation by those that have demonstrated their merit as
ASF members just seems wrong.

- Sam Ruby