Daniel Gruno wrote on 10/9/15 3:18 PM:
> On 10/09/2015 08:02 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> IMO this is where independence is important. We could require that 3
>>> "organizationally independent" IPMC members review each podling before
>>> graduating or retiring. Those people do not need to be project
>>> mentors.
>>
>> I much prefer a formulation of "3 independent" over "no financial
>> ties", and would prefer such a criteria be considered whenever the
>> impulse arises to ensure that NO involved individual has a vested
>> interest.
... snip...

For me, the point is that as a whole organization we truly have the
documented oversight of a sufficient number and variety of Mentors to
provide independent oversight.

The details are indeed tricky to work out.  I personally don't mind if
some mentors casting binding votes are tied to the project (and that
indeed does make for more engaged mentors). But we definitely need some
mentors from other employers or organizations or something to also have
a more robust assurance of an independent view.

- Shane