Hi Steve,

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> ...is JIRA-first development conducive to developing a community?...

I don't think so, as you say this breaks the project into very small
buckets and it's very hard for someone new to get the overview of
what's going on and what the big ideas and visions are.

I'm a big fan of backing all my work with issue tracker tickets, but
*decisions* (except minor ones which only have a very local impact)
should not happen in those tickets. IMO tickets are for execution of
something that's been decided on your project's dev list.

It's a difficult balance, and it requires all developers to be aware
of when the time comes to stop discussing in a ticket and bring that
discussion to the dev list.

>... Maybe we should embrace online conferencing more....

I don't think so, as that's not inclusive nor asynchronous.

IMO the combination of dev list + tickets can work well but it
requires lots of discipline for the most active developers, to make
sure they expose their ideas, decisions and discussions to their
project's dev list.

-Bertrand