On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> How hard would that be?

To be brutally honest: to me (as the original author of the code),
fairly easy.  For others, perhaps not so much.

I would be quite willing to do the bulk of the initial work enabling
this.  It would be my hope that there would be at least one person who
was capable of running this code on their own machine (prereqs: at
least one of the following: a machine running Linux, Mac OS/X, Docker
or VirtualBox/Vagrant), and interested in making tweaks after the
basics are in place.

> is there data we could seed?

Actually, yes.  Every month we have a board report from the Incubator,
in text format, in SVN.

The way the board agenda tool works is that it parses this data into
JSON which is then used by the client.  ASF Officers and Members can
an example of the results here:

https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2016-08-17.json

So the first step would be to parse the data into individual reports.
I've already got the basics for that in the board minutes tool.  Code:
https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/tools/collate_minutes.rb#L236
; output: https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/ .  This could be
presented as individual pages in the board agenda tool.

Next step would be for draft minutes to be available someplace (my
preference would be svn).  It would need to be someplace with a large
set of people who have access than just officers and members.  That
data could be parsed by the same code and be presented as separate
pages.

None of the above is hard.  The hardest part will be tweaking the
authentication to allow only a subset of people to see the full
agenda, and a wider set of people to see the incubator parts.

What would be next is deciding what buttons and actions should be
supported.  This is truly the fun part.  Adding a button for moderator
approval is a matter of a few lines, as is the back end code that
makes the change to the text file and commits the result.  If there
are people who are interested, I can point to examples of how to do
this; otherwise I can make these changes.

All of this can be developed and tested on your own machine, and will
automatically be deployed via a push.

Instructions on getting started (including running tests) can be found here:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/tree/master/www/board/agenda#readme

- Sam Ruby