I think sadly both our policies and guidance are a bit outdated, and
for instance very SVN-centric - but I'm all for a split as that means
it's at least easier to update the guidance - updating policy (beyond
typos) is presumably something that needs to be agreed by IPMC before
publishing.

The policy should not be too bound by current technology and
infrastructure, but should focus on the community-side.  The guidance
can be more exemplified.

This distinction could then be noted in the documents similar to W3C
specs who have "This section is non-normative".

Agree with Bertrand's suggestion of starting with a minimal policy
document, but of course that means more potential overlap and
confusion until the old ones are gone. (as well as perhaps longer
email fights? :)

On 30 November 2016 at 07:38, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:49 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
>> .. should we just drop the
>> current "policy" document and make the guides the policy documents?...
>
> Clearly separating policy from everything else sounds good to me, but
> the policy docs should then be as concise as possible.
>
> Dunno if that can happen by just remixing the existing content, or if
> it's better to start a new minimal policy document or section now.
>
> -Bertrand

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718