On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 6:16 AM, John D. Ament <john.d.am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:04 PM Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> graduation.

>> > I'm
>> > can
>> >
>> > I argued myself into adding this one.  While I don't disagree with your
>> > perspective, every time a podling graduates it comes up from board
>> > members.
>>

>> Some Directors != The Board
>>
>> The Board has never required the IPMC to use the APMM as a requirement for
>> graduation. And, I don't recall the IPMC making that requirement either.
>>

>> >   The IPMC did not prepare the maturity model, yet somehow it
>> > applies to podlings planning to graduate.
>> >

>> Says who?
>>

>> > I'll point out that the page itself states this is only a guide, not a
>> >

>> On graduation.html, you list "Complete the Apache Project Maturity Model"
>> as one of the preparation steps. That does not sound like a guide.
>>
>> policy.  So I don't think we've changed Incubator policy by adding a link.
>> >

>> By listing it like that on the graduation page, it is de facto policy.
>>

>> > I could see it being stated as more of "compare the podlings actions and
>> > behaviors against the maturity model.  I could also see it moving into
>> the
>> > "Other Issues" section of the guide instead of the checklist section.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >

>> Personally, I'd be fine with the link under "Other Issues". Something like
>> "You may find the APMM a useful guide, to look at different factors in your
>> podling's community."  (<waves-hand> on phrasing)
>>

> I think at this point, we're just arguing semantics.  I've drafted the
> following for the other issues section.  I've removed it from the checklist
> section.

The feedback I consistently get from all the podlings I mentor is that
it would be really great if our documentation clearly separated policy
from advice. In fact, having two separate documents is what they
all seem to have in mind. Today we have guides which are pretty verbose
and mix the two.

Thanks,
Roman.