On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:19 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:10 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> Gitbox has been updated, our ponymail installation has been updated, our
>> svn server will be updated soon.  Other services will be updated as well.
>>
> What about regular git-wip-us?

Probably, but if not, it will be soon.

>> Adding a new committer, PPMC member, or mentors should be a matter a few
>> mouse clicks and selecting the name.  LDAP and/or podlings.xml will be
>> updated on your behalf.
>>
> FWIW, I just tried adding you as a mentor to a podling, it failed with a
> 500 ISE.

I neglected to mention that that isn't implemented yet.  See lines 1
through 3 of the following:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/www/roster/views/actions/ppmc.json.rb

>> 3) Who should be able to add/remove PPMC members?  My assumption is any
>> member of the PPMC.
>
> Disagree.  The PPMC may add a member if there is a check that a NOTICE was
> sent and received >= 72 hours ago.  If that check is not in place I feel it
> is up to mentors only.

Ack.

>> 5) Who should be able to add/remove PPMC committers?  Again, my
>> assumption is any member of the PPMC.
>
> The term "PPMC committers" is hard to follow.  "podling committer" may make
> more sense, or simply committer.  There may be cases that an IPMC member
> needs to add a committer.  In this case, they can just add themselves as
> mentor to do it.  Its a little bit of a loophole.

Ack on nomenclature.

I'm OK with that loophole.

>> 6) Who is eligible to be added as a PPMC committer?  Again, my
>> assumption is any ASF committer.
>
> Most of the time committers to a podling are new to the ASF.  Can the
> processes that secretary runs include adding to a podling?

Interesting question!

Essentially, the secretary makes use of the new account request form,
so the question is whether or not the new account request form can
include both the podling name as well as the PMC name (which in this
case is incubator).  I'll look into it.

>> Feedback on these assumptions welcome.  Any change to mentors and/or
>> PPMC members will result in a notification to the private incubator
>> mailing list.  Any change to PPMC members and committers will result in
>> a notification to the infrastructure team.  Any change at all will
>> result in a notification to the private mailing PPMC mailing list.
>
> I'm not sure why infra is getting notified but IPMC is not notified, about
> committers.  Does infra have a requirement to be notified?

If the incubator wants to be notified about committer changes, that
can be accommodated.

The infrastructure team has requested to be notified on all LDAP changes.

>> Related: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-90; which might
>> not be practical as stated due to difference in access control between
>> the various lists.  Even if that turns out to be the case, a tool can be
>> created to identify differences and enable bulk updating.
>>
> I'm not sure how that's relevant to this email, maybe you should keep
> discussions around the design and development of whimsy on the dev@whimsical
> list, or just reply to the JIRA and the reporter will follow up.

See question 5 above.  If PPMC members who don't happen to be IPMC
members are authorized to add committers, they will be unable to
update the list of committers for the incubator.

I see this as an incubator policy question, not a whimsy implementation detail.

> FWIW, until we fix all permissions to be based on podling, we need podling
> committers added to incubator.  In addition, the incubator website is meant
> to be maintained by any incubator committer so that sort of assumes they're
> in the incubator group.  If the issue is auto removal, I'll point out
> that's something you raised and wasn't a requirement going in (and in fact,
> people stay on incubator even after their podling has graduated).

No, the issue is that the person issuing the request may not be
authorized to make the changes.  Sorry I wasn't clearer on this point
initially.

Autoremoval was just a question.  If the incubator wishes to have an
ever growing list, that's fine with me.

Another possibility might be to open the incubator website to all
committers, and fix all other permissions to be based on podlings.

- Sam Ruby