Yes, I understand that gradle-wrapper.jar is a convenience jar that helps
get the gradle.
However, we could not include it in the distribution because it is not
acceptable to include binaries and instead we went with the proposed
resolution in this thread:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-288?focusedCommentId=15980830&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-15980830

This is (almost) exactly the same as what Apache Fineract does to address
the same:
- https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/develop/README.md
-
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@gobblin.incubator.apache.org/msg01727.html
I like the Fineract model, especially because it requires only one extra
step than what would be required otherwise to build the distribution.
However, we will continue to improve upon the build process in future.

We have not moved to newer versions of gradle yet, and we specify the
gradle version requirement in README.md.

Abhishek