> On Feb 7, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I assume that "https://hub.docker.com/u/apache
>> <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>" is an Apache controlled
>> location, so publishing Apache images from there is fine provided they obey
>> our policies (release policy, website policy etc).
>
> I believe INFA has something to do with setting that up, but I think we
> should extend what be consider “official" to anything with apache in it’s
> user name, like apachepulsar.

Hi,

Infra manages the u/apache dockerhub org. We provide this service with the
express caveat that projects note that these are UNOFFICIAL releases, and
CONVENIENCE BINARIES ONLY. How much projects comply with this is unknown to me.
It is a common thread in discussions of this nature because the party line is
“the ASF releases code” but the reality is that “people consume binaries.”

Until that juxtaposition is well and truly addressed, these discussions will
continue to happen ad nauseam. I have not reviewed the threads on legal, I just
popped in over here because Dave Fisher pointed it out to me.

We (Infra) always point out http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html as
the defining document that describes official release channels.

-Chris
ASF Infra