From: Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:54 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Voting on releases with serious unaddressed issues

Hi,

> For the record, no. No. It was never simply called theft. These files were
> part of the donation received from Oracle. We did not add these files in
> any way in Apache and simply received them as part of the donation. We have
> now removed them, so that this kind of stupid accusation can cease and
> since we didn’t care about them at all in the first place.

Part of all projects path to graduation is checking IP provenance, please don’t
take that that you did the theft but perhaps someone did it before you did, a
poor analogy is "receiving stolen goods". Stuff like this is often an
accidental and unintentional, some internal developer copies something to use
in a test that they think will never be public. Until that is it becomes open
source. I have seen far more numerous and far more serious infringements of
copyright in other codebases donated by other large companies. What is
important is tat it has been addressed and the podling is fixing the issue

It could be far worse, for instance [1] (and they also have a script for hamlet
they want to talk to you about).

Thanks,
Justin

1.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie_copyright_dispute