Just like so many things, this is how it used to be. In fact, back in the day
the only time the IPMC was asked to vote was when there were not enough mentor
votes.

If you look at all the podlinga I've mentored I have only ever asked for an
IPMC vote on two occasions (that I recall). One because I had absent mentors
(the project never graduated due to lack of success as a community) and one
because it was a very large and complex code base and we asked for extra eyes
on the first release.

Every other time the community worked with mentors. Once we had the votes we
notified the IPMC that the vote had passed and moved on.

Requiring an IPMC vote is akin to the board voting on all TLP releases. It
should be stopped. The IPMC are facilitators not gate keepers.

Individual IPMC members can join the podling communities if they wish to
participate. Why are podlings and mentors answering to the IPMC by default?

I know the standard answer is because mentors sometimes get too busy. Sure. If
it happens every release is a problem and having to ask for an IPMC vote
highlights the problem.

I realize this proposal does not go this far, I'm +0 for the proposal as a step
in the right direction, but it doesn't go far enough in my opinion.

Ross