On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 1:11 PM Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Most of the projects mentioned so far have been “internal”

Only because all the umbrella-derived projects haven't been mentioned. Most
of that "spin out to a TLP" was done a decade ago, so they've been omitted
from discussion.

> - code developed to help run the ASF. “External” projects also go
> straight-to-TLP and are more important because they have many more users
> and greater impact on the world.

I recall only two "external" projects have gone straight-to-TLP: Serf,
Zest/Polygene. I'm guessing Dave, et al, will surface others, if they
exist. I would disagree with your latter statement; they went to TLP based
on oversight, rather than on userbase/impact.

I would suggest: the 90% of straight-to-TLP have been "internal" or
"spun-out".

Cheers,
-g