Going only by past experiences in the incubator, my understanding is that a
graduation blocking issue is not something that necessarily blocks a
podling release.
It would be something that should be noted and fixed in follow up releases
for sure.
Perhaps the letter of the law change or the level of enforcement has
changed since then.

Now, whether those experiences were to the letter of the law or not, I
believe that (especially the first) release from a podling is intended to
make sure that the mechanics of creating an Apache release are understood.

I do think that the mechanics are in order here and would expect that this
should be able to move forward with a JIRA to fix in a follow up release.