On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:13 AM Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Which would be a reasonable assumption give:
> > a) That only IPMC votes are binding on releases.

Only because IPMC said it must provide such votes. I maintain it does not
have to. The Board gave the Incubator the range/duty for incubating
projects. That allows for podlings to use our infrastructure (mailing
lists, jira, dist.apache, cwiki, etc) and to make their releases. Within
that duty assigned by the Board, it can apply alternate rules to releases.
I state that permission is already given. Others disagree, and want an
answer from Legal. Roman seems amenable, if the IPMC has the will to
formally ask.

> > b) It listed as a TLP in Whimsy

Whimsy is not canonical. Its label means absolutely nothing. Board
decisions are canonical.

> > c) The resolution that formed it uses the same language as a TLP and
> talks abut forming a PMC and assigning a VP [1]

That was in 2002. Establishing any PMC was a pretty new thing.

But even if you ignore the age, a PMC was constructed by the Board with the
*duty* to onboard new groups. It says nothing about holding releases to any
specific policy.

-g