<off topic>

This speech policing is starting to get quite on my nerves. Especially when it
ignores the intent behind such things... 99% of the time the smiley is there to
say "Yeah, I know that sounds harsh, but it's a little joke". It is an attempt
to replicate in text what is natural in "real life"... when someone says
something and then, to defuse the situation a little, smiles.

This is how people talk. This is how people communicate.

Let's all recall that one of the big tenets in 1984 is that if you can control
how people talk, you can control how they think. Can we PLEASE not go there.