Hi,

Current any ASF member can come along and ask to join the IPMC. I assume this
was put in place for two reasons: ( but don’t know the full history behind it)
- There was a lack of mentors.
- Is is assumed that if you are an ASF member you know enough about the Apache
Way to mentor a project.

I’m not sure if this is the case anymore. And while the mentor situation has
improved I don’t think the above has solved the problem of having active
members or mentors having the required knowledge and skills they need.

So if you want to be a IPMC member and mentor a project then I think you need
you have gone through the full incubation process yourself and/or help out with
other incubator duties and get voted in as an IPMC member. Just like every
other ASF project.

What do other people think?

Thanks,
Justin