I don’t understand how obstructing people from becoming mentors is going to
increase their involvement.  In the unlikely event that I got interested enough
in an incoming project to want to mentor it, no matter what rules are in place,
my doing so depends on my commitment to actually mentoring. Putting additional
hoops in place to jump through would just make me think that there’s too much
bureaucracy not related to actually mentoring.

I think you want a way of asking potential mentors, “Are you sure you want to
do this? Really? Truly? If you sign up to mentor and disappear you will be
dragging the project down and pushing it away from Apache.  Are you still
sure?” Why not just ask them directly?

David Jencks