Hi,

> Well Justin, these files are typically generated by our software.  It would
> not be OK to force the license into all files since that wouldn't be
> appropriate and right since we don't force Apache copyright on the work of
> others.

The ASF header doesn’t include a copyright line and the ALv2 license doesn’t
ask to transfer copyright so I’m not sure what you mean by the above. If those
files are in an ASF repo they they need to be (in general) covered by a
software grant, ICLA, CCLA etc or be 3rd party file with a compatible license.
What you say above suggests they are actually 3rd party files, the work of
others outside the project?  If they are 3rd party files then that should be
made clear. [2]

>  Without that possibility we're down to manually editing the files
> every time they are created or modified in the slightest.  I don't see that
> as a valid option.

I would assume whatever generates them can generate them with a header? Are all
of these files generated or not?

> That evaluation was made before.  Now it just feels like one more rule we
> have to deal with that just comes out of the blue.

Can you please point me to this conversation on your mailing list as I was
unable to find it. I did find this [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1.