> It will need to hand over ownership of that domain name before it does.

I have a question: what is "take control of"?

As you can see, the OpenDAL PMC can even negotiate to take down
opendal.databend.rs.

If today, someone on the internet, for any reason, buys a domain name
and redirects it to opendal.apache.org. You don't even have contact to
that person. Do you still argue that the PMC should take control of
that domain?

The case becomes complex when web saas involved. Anyone can possibly
build a {user-id}.github.io or {app-name}.vercel.com and redirects it
to opendal.apache.org in a few minutes.

If you said, these are violations so the PMC should spend time
investigating and trying to take them down. This sounds reasonable,
but of course, if you cannot find the person, you can hardly take it
down, Negotiating with the saas provider can take a lot of time and
they may not support your requirement. If you said, the PMC must buy
the domain name to control it, this is surely beyond what a
volunteer-based community can do, and still even who is the domain
owner may be anonymous.

So, if you're talking about opendal.databend.rs, it's taken down. If
you use it as a rule, I suggest we should be much more clear about the
boundaries.

Best,
tison.

Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> 于2023年12月29日周五 13:02写道: