Hi,

> If today, someone on the internet, for any reason, buys a domain name
> and redirects it to opendal.apache.org. You don't even have contact to
> that person. Do you still argue that the PMC should take control of
> that domain?

Of course not, the issue is not with redirecting a domain. The issue mostly
exists with existing domains. A 3rd party, if they had control of a domain
name, foo.x.com could stop redirecting it to foo.apache.org and point foo.x.com
at their own competing product. If that domain was well known and used by the
community around foo, that would most likely be an issue.

> The case becomes complex when web saas involved. Anyone can possibly
> build a {user-id}.github.io or {app-name}.vercel.com and redirects it
> to opendal.apache.org in a few minutes.
>
> If you said, these are violations so the PMC should spend time
> investigating and trying to take them down. This sounds reasonable,
> but of course, if you cannot find the person, you can hardly take it
> down, Negotiating with the saas provider can take a lot of time and
> they may not support your requirement.

Just about all providers have take-down mechanisms we can use if the name is
one of our trademarks. If a PMC found itself in this position, the owner wasn't
responsive, and the site’s content was in clear violation of our policy, it
would be best to involve trademarks to help and it’s a fairly straightforward
matter to request the site to be taken down.

Kind Regards,
Justin