From: Avi Cherry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

>  Instead, he
> questioned the motives of the developer offering their code, implying
> that he was being selfish in wanting to have the Apache group take
> the project in.  This was obviously not his intent,

It might have been obvious to you, but it wasn't obvious to me (and
 still isn't)

When I first read the original mail my reaction was "Someone with
a homeless project looking for an owner".

In fact Paul's most recent mail says
"As a result of this, we are interested in building a market
 through open source."

Which has an air of "we can't afford to do this ourselves so we're
hoping that we can utilise the Apache resources to get our product
of the ground".

There's nothing _wrong_ with that - my impression is that part of
Sun's motive for donating to Jakarta is to take advantage of the
resources/name of Apache to promote their technology.
It can be a win-win situation, but if no one here thinks the
project is worth being involved in, then there's no reason
for the PMC et al. to put time/resources into it.

> Jon, it wouldn't kill you to be polite.

That I most certainly agree with.
Even a one line answer can be made more polite.
A dosage of "It appears to me..." or "I still don't see..."
can make most comments more palatable.